We went out yesterday to check the hive, just about 1 week after having removed the queen excluder. Still no work in the super. There were certainly more bees than before, but no work we could see of drawing out comb. I guess it's just too late in the season.
So, we won't be harvesting any honey but we do feel like we have a good hive going and look forward to getting them through the winter. In the spring they should be all set to work on those supers and do some heavy pollinating of the nearby fruit trees. When we installed the hive this spring most of the fruit trees had already bloomed so I'm not sure how much of an effect the bees had on pollination. Next year....
Package Installation – one week in
1 week ago